[mythtv-users] Myth display issues.

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Wed Sep 14 04:18:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:53:01 -0700, Mark Kundinger <mkundinger at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Ugh.  It, uh, sounds kind of like your display might be jacked in
> general?

The TV? Heh. No, I'm watching the TV (not through Myth, tho'). The monitor
I'm using to start the set-up process.

> Did a monitor used to work in addition to the TV?

It was an either/or situation. It would boot to the monitor and then when
X started, it would go to the TV. This made sense to me. When the config
file is loaded, it switches.

The last thing you do on the nVidia install of KnoppMyth is to change the
X11 config file to make the nVidia output to the TV. Well, not change,
just copy a config file over. And it worked. So I left it to do, you know,
the life thing, and two days later, I boot and it's trashed.

Weirdly, when I left it, I was working entirely in black-and-white. Today
when I started it up and got the boot screen on the TV, I saw color, plus
the TV was displaying a test pattern in between flickering back-and-forth.

> Did you ever used to be able to see the computer's boot process on the
> TV?

No.

> Maybe you're booting with the wrong kernel?

How is that possible? How many kernels do I have?<s> I'm using KnoppMyth,
I've installed and reinstalled many times, but now when I install it, I'm
going to hell during the nVidia driver install.

The problem is, once the output goes south, I end up having to reinstall
for lack of any way to fix it, i.e., I can't see anything to fool around
with it.

I'm using the latest KnoppMyth, a generic LCD, a Samsung 1080i (30", I
think), GeForce Ti4600, AMD 2400, 1G Ram, 120GB HD, Sound Blaster Audigy
Platinum...S-Video in from the TV, S-Video out to the TV, no hookup with
the sound yet....