[mythtv-users] Where/how to plug in out-bound sound?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Sep 14 02:35:37 UTC 2005

>>> blake at kingdomrpg.com 09/13/05 10:21 PM >>>
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:14:40 -0700, PAUL WILLIAMSON
<pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > A y-cable is a Very Bad Thing (tm) IMHO.  I would use the
> > output of the audigy.  It's probably a 1/8" jack.  Just get a
> > 1/8"-1/4" adapter and plug away.  It also depends on
> > how the sound is being amplified - through the TV or through the
> > stereo.  If you are lucky, you could even use some sort of
> > digital connection from the audigy to the sound system...
>
> Well, okay, but the set-up is this: The Audigy has a number of
> 1/8" outputs, but only one for front stereo. The input has a
> number of inputs, but only a pair (stereo) 1/4" for left and right
> speakers. I have the Audigy breakout box but there's not much
> of use there for this context.  (For example, there's a pair of
> 1/4" stereo ports, but they're input!)
>
> So, how do I connect the 1/8" output to the pair input on the
> TV without a Y-cable--agreeing with you that they're a bad
> thing, but I don't see how else it's gonna happen.

Just get an adapter from your local RS.  Here is
a link to the part...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=274-375

Ok, so it's a y adapter.  The key is that it takes a
stereo source and splits it to two mono signals.
Or the other way around.

I would test this before buying if you have a Radio Shack
near you.  Just get a good separation CD or something
to make sure it splits the signal.  Then you'll at least
the right sound going to the right speaker, so to speak.

I would try to avoid getting a plain old y-adapter that
just splits a stereo signal into two stereo signals...

Paul