[mythtv-users] One tuner on PVR-500 (was Re: PVR-500 configuration)

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Tue Sep 13 22:08:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 05:21:24PM -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> # ivtv modules setup
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
> alias char-major-81-2 ivtv

Since there's a discussion of the sort going on, I suppose I can ask
about my PVR-500mce problem...  I'm only able to get the first tuner
to produce anything.  `cat /dev/video0 > foo.mpg` gives me a nice
recording of whichever channel on my cable it's tuned to.  `cat
/dev/video1 > foo.mpg` gives me a zero-byte file and a few messages
in syslog:

ivtv warning: i2c client addr: 0x44 not found for command 0x401c6466!
ivtv warning: i2c client addr: 0x44 not found for command 0x40046406!
ivtv warning: i2c client addr: 0x44 not found for command 0x40046406!

Both tuners are detected as PVR-150s and recognized as the first and
second tuner on a PVR-500 during bootup, according to dmesg, but the
initialization of the second tuner produces errors similar to those
above, differing only in the commands for which 0x44 was not found.

When I saw Scot's message, I took a look in /etc/modules.conf and
discovered, oddly enough, that I had only put in aliases for 81,
81-1, and 81-2; I don't know why I skipped 81-0, but, since that
corresponds to the tuner that is working, I tried commenting the
other two lines out, running depmod, and reading from /dev/tuner1,
but the result was unchanged - another zero-byte file.

Anyone have suggestions on getting both tuners working properly?  I
asked about this on the ivtv-users list last Saturday and got no
response there.  (I've only seen one post on ivtv-users aside from my
own, so it seems clear that this is the more active list...)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that