[mythtv-users] Live TV and backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 13 14:58:23 UTC 2005

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

>>If not, how does LIRC work to change channels when surfing?
>>Is it something like:
>>Remote>LIRC-frontend>Mythtv-frontend>Mythtv-backend>
>>LIRC-backend>cablebox#1
>>

>The LIRC thing is a problem if you don't have an IR receiver
>on your frontend.  That's what I've always found odd - the
>PVR card manufacturers assume that you'll have the PC
>with the PVR card in it and the PC you want to watch the
>recorded programs from in the same machine.  I know it
>cuts down on costs, but it would be really nice if someone
>would produce a car that *only* has the IR header on it.

Yeah.  It's almost like they're designing those things to work in some
operating system to which networking was added as an afterthought and
for which distributed PVR functionality doesn't exist...  ;)

(OK, there's Media Center Extender/Media Center Extender for XBox, but
even with those, the Media Center PC is still meant to be a frontend as
well as a backend.)

Mike