[mythtv-users] Live TV and backend

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Sep 13 13:50:40 UTC 2005

>>> henry at fishcasa.com 09/13/05 9:29 AM >>>
> I have just setup my first Mythtv box with frontend and backend
> on the same PC. I'm planning a separate backend configuration
> and I was wondering if I need a capture card in my frontend to
> watch live tv if I have a backend setup with multiple PVR cards?
> If not, how does LIRC work to change channels when surfing?
> Is it something like:
> Remote>LIRC-frontend>Mythtv-frontend>Mythtv-backend>
> LIRC-backend>cablebox#1

Congratulations and welcome to the fold...

No, you do not need a capture card ion your frontend.
The backend is a backend because that is where the
capture cards go.

The LIRC thing is a problem if you don't have an IR receiver
on your frontend.  That's what I've always found odd - the
PVR card manufacturers assume that you'll have the PC
with the PVR card in it and the PC you want to watch the
recorded programs from in the same machine.  I know it
cuts down on costs, but it would be really nice if someone
would produce a car that *only* has the IR header on it.

There are a few places that sell you an IR receiver - some
professionally built and some not, while there are tons
of places on the internet (like lirc.org) that give you the
wiring schematics for building your own.

I totally bypassed all that hassle and have a PS/2 style
IR receiver and an "Airboard".  I've programmed my
MX-500/700 and JP-1 remote controls to transmit
the keyboard commands.  I only break out the keyboard
when I revert to using Gaim or Star Office on my
TV.  Other than that, my 6 year old can use the remote
to do anything.

HTH,
Paul