[mythtv-users] Re: QAM256, no pids after scan?

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Mon Sep 12 13:00:44 UTC 2005

Andrew Gallatin writes:
 > Is it possible that the QAM channel scan itself does not work, and I
 > need to do everything by hand?  I saw a patch go by which allowed
 > Mythtv to import a channels.conf file.

Just to follow up, I got recording working on the fusion by upgrading
to this past week's SVN, and using the channels.conf import feature.
The format is:

TNTHD:585000000:QAM_256:3
DHD:585000000:QAM_256:2

Where :2 and :3 are what I think mplayer calls tsprog, and are the
same thing my TV's tuner shows (84-2, 84-3).  This channels.conf was
created as output by dvbscan from the dvb-apps tree after running an
awk script to remove the pids.  After editing the 70 or so channels
the scan found down to just the un-encrypted ones, I imported the
channels.conf and was able to tune them in live tv.  Woo-hoo!

However, mythfilldatabase ended up creating different (empty) channels
along side the HDTV channels (though the TWC digital channels worked
fine).  I think the problem is that the scanned information for the
channel's name is totally different that what Zap2it has.  The local
ABC station scans as "WTVD HD", but Zap2it has it as "WTVDDT",  and
the same applies for all the HDTV locals.

At least at this point,  I had all the xmltvids.  So I just
cleared my channels, re-imported the channels.conf, and
entered all the xmtvids (and channel numbers) by hand.  Not a
fun way to spend an afternoon, but it seems to have worked.

Now, all I need to do is to figure out why my HD-TV playback
has gone to hell.  What I used to be able to play fine before
upgrading to SVN now stutters like mad.  Sigh.  At least xine
still works great, and I can play things by hand.

Drew