[mythtv-users] XBox IR remote & lirc?

Joshua King jkingkard-hotmail at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 12 09:17:18 UTC 2005

Here's my suggestions (I'm running an Xbox remote on a PC with Gentoo, so
similar but not identical):

* Does the Xbox remote control appear at all if you run 'lsusb'?
If not it hasn't been detected on the USB port, maybe it's broken?
Is the USB module loaded (either usb-uhci/usb-ohci)?

* Is the DVD receiver the Microsoft brand or a generic clone model?
Mine's a clone from China so I had to edit the source of the driver
And add the product and vendor IDs (you get these from 'lsusb' above, mine
is ffff:ffff)

If you need to edit, you need to look for this part of lirc-0.7's
drivers/lirc_xboxusb/lirc_xboxusb.c:

static struct usb_device_id usb_remote_id_table [] = {
{ USB_DEVICE(0x040b, 0x6521) }, /* Gamester Xbox DVD Movie Playback Kit IR
*/
{ USB_DEVICE(0x045e, 0x0284) }, /* Microsoft Xbox DVD Movie Playback Kit IR
*/

{ }/* Terminating entry */
};

And add a line before Terminating entry, in my case:
 { USB_DEVICE(0xffff, 0xffff) }, /* My DVD receiver */

Then recompile the kernel module -- note that this file is generally
provided by Gentoo not LIRC so you either have to patch and recompile the
source manually or otherwise start the emerge command, hit Control-Z after
it says 'Source unpacked', edit the file (it will be under
/var/portage/lirc...), and type 'fg' and continue the emerge.

* What else does the driver say (have a look at the log files in /var/log/*)
My log (not my dmesg I don't think) has a line in it as such:
Sep 12 09:50:24 [lircd 0.7.0] lircd(xboxusb) ready
After which the remote works.

Note that I'm using 2.6.10 kernel, so it could be a .12 issue.

Hope this helps,

Joshua King