[mythtv-users] TV choices - was: Could we install/run Mythtv withoutX-windows

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Sep 12 06:22:36 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 23:06 -0700, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:

>         Which is why I asked what Jarod's TV is doing.  In his
> message, he said he does not use Myth's deinterlacer but feeds his TV
> a 1080p signal, and that the TV does the deinterlacing.

Pressumably only if the content needs deinterlacing.

>         Technically, I suppose the TV could regenerate the interlaced
> stream (by throwing away odd or even lines in alternating frames) and
> then properly deinterlace the signal but I hadn't heard of any TV that
> could do that.

I think the hard part is determining if the content _needs_
deinterlacing.  For truly interlaced-at-source content (i.e. video
tape), I think this is more difficult.  But for progressive-at-source ->
telecine/3:2 pulldown content, this is pretty standard.  Even software
players like mplayer can do it (inverse telecine).

b.

Brian J. Murrell