[mythtv-users] PVR-150 (Model 1045) - $64.99 @ CompUSA + FAQ

Mark Menke mmenke at porksoda.com
Sun Sep 11 21:59:16 UTC 2005

Do you have to passs any special flags to the ivtv module when you load
it?  I 've got the same card, but can't get the audio to work.  cat
/dev/video0 leaves my with an mpg that has great video and no audio.

-Mark

Jay Jarvinen wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:41:56 -0500
>Jay Jarvinen <jay-lists at 3pound.com> wrote:
>

>>FYI, CompUSA has a PVR-150 (Model 1045) after rebate(s) ($35) = $64.99
>>http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?ref=cj&product_code=316263&pfp=9405sale
>>
>>According the IvyTV Wiki, this model is "Very close to fully
>>functional(in ivtv development branch)". Many reports of success on
>>this list back in May 2005, etc.
>>
>>Thumbs up?
>>
>>Any reason for a bt878 user to wait? Perhaps this signals an imminent
>>PVR-500 price drop? Just wondering ;)
>>

>Perhaps my subject line was lacking .. so, for the archive, I'll reply
>to myself.
>
>I opted to buy this model anyway, despite being less than 100% confident
>beforehand.
>
>My confusion stemmed from the various CX23416 based cards listed as
>"Known NOT to work" on the ivtv site. A "complaint" best suited for the
>ivtv list, I'll grant you.
>
>In any case - yes, thumbs up, success, it works, it's working:
>
>ivtv: version 0.3.8 (svn snapshot revision 2638)
>kernel (ubuntu binary): 2.6.10-5-k7
>
>It is indeed a PVR-150 model 1045 (26032, rev C199), with grey Hauppauge
>remote, chips are: CX23416-12 and CX25841-23
>
>The card is in a new machine, so I've yet to install MythTV on it, but a
>simple 'cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/foo.mpeg' works great, lirc_i2c (mode2
>test) works, so I'm confident the Myth setup will be smooth.
>
>My question: "Any reason for a bt878 user to wait?" Absolutely not, get
>it. For $65 I regained 33% of my CPU that was busy doing software
>compression (at medium resolution even), and I can ditch the audio patch
>cable and mixer nonsense once and for all.
>
>-Jay
>

>---
>
>Sep  8 02:02:49 localhost kernel: ivtv: version 0.3.8 (svn snapshot
>revision 2638) loading
>Sep  8 02:02:49 localhost kernel: ivtv: Linux version: 2.6.10-5-k7
>preempt K7 gcc-3.3
>
>lspci -v:
>
>0000:00:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc
>             iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
>   Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 8003
>   Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 14
>   Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
>   Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>
>sharing IRQ 14 with my AC97 Audio Controller, pfeh - I'll hafta look
>into that.

"An adventure is really just a sign of incompetence. Every thing that you add to an explorer's heroism, you must subtract from his intelligence." - Vilhjálmur Stefansson