[mythtv-users] Please help!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 11 20:36:19 UTC 2005

Tony Paterra wrote:

>So something I noticed...  I took the splitter out of the way and and
>put it directly into the Tivo box...  The behavior was slightly better
>but still not close to clear.  I also tried putting the splitter back
>in the equation and running the Tivo's line to a separate TV and the
>picture is fine.  For some ASCII wiring diagrams...
>
>Scenario 1)
>(wall outlet) ---> Tivo  gives slightly better performance but still
>pretty fuzzy
>
>Scenario 2)
>(wall outlet) ---> splitter ---> TV gives fine performance
>
>I haven't tried a separate TV viewing program, I was curious on your
>thoughts about this...

The PVR-x50's typically need a (much) cleaner signal than stand-alone TV
tuners.  See the link I posted before:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/17953#17953

Also, the test you need to do isn't the (wall outlet) ---> PVR-350

It's (cable company's line)  ---> PVR-350

Since the cable company's line likely isn't long enough, that means you
need to take the cable company's line and connect a single good cable
(RG-6, preferrably quad-shield (and nice if it's RG-6U quad-shield))
with good crimp-on (not twist-on) connectors that were installed
correctly (as incorrectly-installed crimp-on's will typically be worse
than twist-on's) on both ends between the cable company's line and your
PVR-350.

Any other test is suspect and does not rule out signal quality issues.
Even with a good cable/connectors between, it may still be signal
quality issues, but likely would require help from a cable company tech.

HTH.

Mike