[mythtv-users] TV choices - was: Could we install/run Mythtv withoutX-windows

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 11 17:28:14 UTC 2005

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

>  How far away is your primary viewing area? I've been kicking around
>  the idea of an LCD, but I sit about 14' away from where my TV is.
>  The standard I've heard is 1" of TV width for every 5" of distance
>  from the TV. Based on that, a 37" TV would be just about right.

With HDTV, you can still have a very high-quality viewing experience as
close as 1" of TV width for every 2" of distance.  The 5" is probably a
better guess for SDTV.  Unfortunately, if you're watching both HDTV and
SDTV on the same screen, you either end up with small HDTV or
low-quality SDTV.  I figure I'll go for the larger screen so that the
low-quality SDTV makes me appreciate the HDTV even more.  :)

Mike