[mythtv-users] Fastest file system

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Fri Sep 9 22:35:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:27:39 -0700, Brian J. Murrell
<brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> It's digital -- already encoded.  It's really nothing more than just 3-4
> instances of:
>
> $ cat < /dev/hdtv_device >file.mpg

I didnt know HD came in as MPG!

So the people who are having trouble with single streams--it's because
they're having to encode on the fly...

> in parallel.  Even if one stream was 5Mb/s, that is only 640KB/s.  Not
> really that intensive.  Even my single 80G ATA drive gets ~15MB/s

...or they have really seirous I/O problems.

So, the whole "you need X resources for each stream" doesn't really apply
to HDTV, then. Int'resting. Wait, HDTV OTA, that is. If I hook up via
S-Video (or composite or whatever) to get HD off my cable box...?