[mythtv-users] Could we install/run Mythtv without X-windows

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Sep 9 19:41:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 15:34 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> Well, unless you want the UI to be slow, hardware accelerated alpha blending
> (ie., XRENDER, OpenGL, etc) is a plus.

Yes, true.  Never thought of that.  Since DirectFB supports the hardware
I would love to use I have never really surveyed it's (lack of) breadth
of support.  It has always just occurred to me that the support for
TV-Out is definitely narrow, but for reasons other than just not wanting
to support more TV-Out cards.

But that said, if QT supported DFB in addition to X it would be like
having your cake and eating it too.

> Besides, people will start using the 'tv-out' less and less, as they start
> buying newer tvs.  Digital's the way to go.

True.  But until picture quality and prices start becoming reasonable
that's not going to terribly soon.  Even given those, there is always
adoption rates.  It will be a while still.

Maybe if digital starts getting put into something other than huge TVs
it will happen quicker, but I really have no desire to give up the space
a 52" TV takes.

b.

Brian J. Murrell