[mythtv-users] Could we install/run Mythtv without X-windows

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Sep 9 17:25:09 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 14:16 -0300, Kyle Kelly wrote:
> I seem to remember reading somewhere that qt4 has support for installing
> without the gui functionality, and that this could possibly be used to
> make mythbackend not require X when it is eventually ported to qt4.

Well there is that too.  The Gnu folks got this right a long time ago
when they separated glib and gtk.

But that is not really what I mean.  What I am saying is that X is way
too big a hammer for the job.  DirectFB is much better suited at the
kind of space that Myth is in -- the STB.  But that would take QT being
able to run on DirectFB which AFAIK it does not.  :-(  QT-Embedded (or
whatever it is) is too far in the other direction.  It does not have
hardware acceleration (and other video card) suport that DirectFB has.

Brian J. Murrell