[mythtv-users] How best to recover a fubar'd system?

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Fri Sep 9 15:39:20 UTC 2005

>On 8-Sep-05, at 10:20 AM, Jim Reith wrote:
>
>>I've got 550gb of videos I'd like to salvage if possible. my
>>other choice is to swap in a virgin drive and rebuild on that and then copy
>>the root over onto the bad partition once it's up and running
>
>I'm certainly not an expert but when I hosed my system in a less
>drastic way I booted up knoppix and used it to mount my old drives
>to copy off whatever I needed. Search for a directory called
>mythconverg and then pull out all the .myd files and that should get
>you the database. Even if you can't get all of the files the
>recordings and videometadata tables are the most important ones for
>getting you back to where you were before your crash.

mythconverg doesn't seem to be found when I do a "du | grep -i
converg". I've got a lot of stuff remapped to Lost and Found. I seem
to have at least some intact structure but it won't boot off the
partition so I've booted off the KnoppMyth CD and exited to the
prompt. I've mounted the partition and I'm poking around manually.
Where's the directory where these would be located?