[mythtv-users] Playback too Fast

Kerry Baker kerry.baker at orcon.net.nz
Fri Sep 9 10:13:29 UTC 2005

This seems to be a common problem but I haven't managed to find a solution
that works for me.
Playback is too fast and talking sounds like chipmunks.
It occurs when watching live tv causing an added problem of stuttering as it
appears to outrun the recording buffer and I get "prebuffering pause" errors
in the mythfrontend log.
It also happens with recordings but without stuttering.
The recording itself is okay as I can play it very nicely using Xine (with "-V
xxmc" option for hardware decoding).

I am using via xvmc as my motherboard is a Via EPIA SP13000 with the unichrome
hardware decoder.
I have played with various playback settings such as "Enable real time
priority threads", "Use video as timebase", "Extra audio buffering", "Use
hardware XvMC MPEG decoding", "Use HW XVMC VLD Decoding (Via Only)"

I have set my recording size to 720x576 (PAL) and played with bitrates.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it?
I'm open to any and all suggestions even ones that appear obvious or that I
might have already tried (I might have overlooked something).
It would be interesting to see how widespread this problem really is and if
there is a common cause or solution (or set of causes and solutions)

My system setup:
EPIA SP13000 mobo
PVR150 tuner card
Mythtv 0.18.1