[mythtv-users] Some confusion on "record weekly" schedules...

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Sep 9 06:24:18 UTC 2005

Alex Brekken wrote:
> Hey guys, I've got what might be an easy question regarding Myth's
> handling of weekly recording schedules.  I've got a "record weekly"

Why? This may be what you think is the normal time you watch it
but is there anything preventing you from setting and All or Channel
rule? Wouldn't you want to catch new episodes even if the schedule
changes?

Normally you should only use weekly if there are no descriptions
or dozens of showings that you don't want included in your schedule
or there is a special circumstance where you know things don't
work out so well unless you commit to that one timeslot.

> schedule set up for the new Battlestar Gallactica series on SciFi every
> Monday night, 10:00pm CDT.  I've had this setup for a few weeks now, and
> it works great.  Today, however, I noticed that SciFi also has a Friday
> night at 9:00pm showing of Battlestar, so I setup a "record weekly"
> schedule for that listing as well.  I've since discovered that the

See, the weekly approach didn't turn out so well ;-)... This is where
you should have changed your existing rule to Channel or All.

> episode that shows on Monday night is a repeat of the previous Friday
> night, or at least that what it looks like so far.  Nevertheless, I
> opted to keep both schedules in place, figuring that even if they are
> the same episode Myth will sort that out for me and only record one.
>
> Looking at my schedule recordings page on Mythweb, here's what I see:

There is nothing wrong with using Mythweb but when asking for help
to clarilfy a problem, this just adds another variable to obfuscate
the question.

> for this Friday evening (tomorrow), Myth is NOT going to record this
> episode and has a code of "L" next to the showing, which apparently
> means it will "record this showing at a later time instead."  For
> Monday, Myth WILL record that showing of Battlestar.
>
> Now I fully understand that Myth should only record 1 of the 2 showings
> since they're the exact same episode, however I can't figure out why
> it's electing to record Monday's episode instead of Friday's since
> Friday is an earlier date.  There's no other recording happening on

That would be true if there was one rule for this title but you've
created two different competing rules. One will take precedence over
the other. If you set a higher priority for the Monday show, it would
get first dibs and record in the preferred timeslot. This is a Good
Thing that you might intend to do at some point.

> Friday at the same time which would interfere.  (I've got dual tuners,
> so that wouldn't matter anyway)  What I would expect to see is that Myth
> would record Friday's episode, and skip Monday's with an indication on
> Monday's schedule of "P" for "previously recorded."

"P" means that it has already completed recording in the past. "E"
means it still plans to record an earlier showing before this showing.

> Does this seem like a problem to anyone else, or am I just
> misunderstaning how the behavior is supposed to work?

Yes. See: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.7

--  bjm