[mythtv-users] Cannot change channels with M179

Bob Weber rjweber at ieee.org
Fri Sep 9 04:56:07 UTC 2005

This is an old thread, but I finally got the AverMedia card working and wanted
to post what I did to hopefully save someone else the problem.

The issue was that while ivtv correctly detected my video card as an m179, it
wasn't able to detect the tuner. dmesg would show

tuner 0-0060: tuner type not set

For this card, the tuner type should be 2, it seems. I added the following
line to /etc/modprobe.conf:

options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 tuner=2

Now when I modprobe ivtv, the above dmesg line now shows that the tuner type
is 2. I can change channels, and the video looks fine (well, fine for an
M179).

Thanks for everyone who helped. The answer was out there. I just had to keep
digging long enough to find the relevant keywords to search for. Alas.