[mythtv-users] Encoder/Decoder cards

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:41:38 UTC 2005

On 08/09/05, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/8/05, Todd Houle <thoule at wesleyan.edu> wrote:
> > I thought only the 350 had TV out.  And the 150/500 has hardware
> > encoding, but not decoding.  If I use a 500 or 150, then I'll still
> > need to find a way to connect the TV...    Is there an inexpensive
> > way to do that?
> >     -t-
>
> Video card with S-vid out. Use an S-vid-RCA converter and a stereo
> mini-to-RCA cable for audio. Either run these direct to the aux-ins of
> your TV, or send them into an old VCR and then to the TV through coax.

For best picture quality, I'd recommend using a direct S-Video
connection to the TV (or video and a S-Vid connection from VCR to TV)
from a PVR-350. However, my experience using my Pundit-R with TV-Out
is that the quality is really quite good (using at moment until I try
out the vastly improved XV support on my 350) and that's integrated
video. Users with Geforce MXs tend to report the same results when
using those cards with TV-out.

Nick