[mythtv-users] Mythtv Windows Manager

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 01:54:24 UTC 2005

On 9/7/05, Jim Gifford <maillist at jg555.com> wrote:
> I've seen a lot of people talking about that this ratpoison window
> manager, but I haven't been able to find a RPM for a new install, can
> anyone point me in the right direction.

start at http://freshmeat.net ... building ratpoison from source is
probably *easier* than learning to use it, anyway. :)

> If so what is the recommended Window Manager of choice. Previously I
> have used KDE, TWM, and WindowMaker. I just want some so I can try to
> get lirc mouse working.

Most new Linux users would be very uncomfortable without KDE or GNOME

The lightest weight window manager possible for MythTV would be to
actually run mythfrontend as your windowmanager. Few people are that
hardcore. (and mythfrontend coredumps too often for me to want to
consider that)

Skilled linux users or people with mythtv hardware that doesn't have
gigahertz and gigabytes of RAM to spare probably want to run a lighter
weight window manager on dedicated mythtv hardware.

Aside from resource hogging, and whether or not a given WM is actively
being developed or maintained, there are no bad choices -
Windowmanagers are completely about personal preference.

Go here: http://xwinman.org/

I've tried them all and then some over the years.

My preference are:
blackbox/fluxbox - good lightweight kde/gnome alternative that is
rather friendly and still provides a lot of features
icewm - if you like Windows, you'll like icewm
fvwm2 - sort of an old faithful. Not very easy to configure. Works for me (tm)
twm or mwm - on nearly every UNIX/Linux OS, very lightweight, known
suckage quantity

Good luck and... as the SuSE distros say... Have fun!

-Ross