[mythtv-users] Red Eye Serial problems with USB to Serial converter

Kieron Wilkinson lists at softpres.org
Wed Sep 7 20:44:01 UTC 2005

Nathan Hesson wrote:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=25219
>
> I do Crestron programming and use serial ports everyday.  I found that
> in windows M$ doesn't handle the voltage on the port right and it screws
> alot of stuff up.  I suspect linux doesn't have this problem though.

Thanks for that.

But of course I left out what kernel I was running, sorry! It is SUSE
9.3 latest 2.6.11.4-20a kernel, which I guess already has the above
fixes in. I'll try with the very latest kernel anyway, just in case
something has been fixed...

This evening I tried to rmmod the pl2303 and the usbserial kernel
modules and re-add them, but it didn't make any difference.

So, anyone know what's going on?

Failing that, does anyone know how I can simulate a physical removal of
the USB device and a re-insert programmatically? That will at least mean
I can record some TV! ;) I searched around the Internet, couldn't find
any commands that could do it...

Thanks for any help!

Kieron