[mythtv-users] Compiling Mythtv with DVB

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Wed Sep 7 07:09:38 UTC 2005

Kevin Saenz wrote:

> I have given up building a gentoo mythtv box, the version of kernel
> and linuxtv-dvb-1.1.1 didn't work happily together.

Which kernel version are you using? The kernel's DVB code is reasonably
up-to-date, so if you're using a fairly recent 2.6 kernel, you probably
don't need to compile in linux-dvb separately.

> I have had success with Mandrake 10.0 community and linuxtv-dvb-1.1.1.
> So I reinstalled Mandrake10.0 and recompiled linuxtv-dvb against the
> kernel. I downloaded, and extracted mythtv-0.18, ran ./configure
> --enable-dvb --dvb-path=/usr/src/linuxtv-1.1.1/ then ran qmake
> mythtv.pro <http://mythtv.pro> then make and make install.

The DVB path should be the path to the linux include files. I don't
think that's the same as the linux-dvb source files. If your kernel is
2.6.12 or later, you can (and ./configure will) point to the kernel
source tree: /usr/src/linux/include. If your kernel is earlier, you
mustn't include the kernel source directly - copy just the dvb stuff
somewhere else, and include that.

> as a standard user I ran mythtv-setup and configured the capture card
> I selected dvb and the message I get is recompile with dvb support.
> Where have I gone wrong?

Have you tried doing this as root? Also, have you confirmed that your
DVB card is working using e.g. tzap? Check out Martin Smith's Myth/DVB
set-up guide at:

http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html

Cheers,

Jon