[mythtv-users] Re: Back of the envelope calcs for minimum network speed

Greg Depasse greg.depasse at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 01:08:24 UTC 2005

On 9/6/05, Micah.Wedemeyer at gtri.gatech.edu <Micah.Wedemeyer at gtri.gatech.edu>
wrote:

> <snip>
> Regarding cable types - I wouldn't spend the extra money on Cat 6. Cat
> 5e
> should do ya nicely.
>
> -Greg
> </snip>
>
> If you're just buying a cable at WalMart or Best Buy, I would agree.
> However, if you're planning on running wire behind the walls, Cat6 in
> bulk is not that much more expensive than Cat5e. At one site, Cat6 is
> $150 for 1000ft, vs $90 for Cat5e. I tend to spend a little more on
> future-proofing when it's something going behind a wall or under the
> floor. It's easier to spend more now than rip stuff out and replace in
> the future.
>
> Micah

Good point, especially if that's the best price you can get. My local home
center has 1000' boxes of Cat5e for $60. So I use that. If you are really
concerned with upgradability, I'd recommend installing a flexible
conduit/raceway system. Something like:
http://www.carlon.com/Flexible%20Raceway/ResiGard_Intro.html

Add a shop vac, a string and a "fur-ball", and you can pull whatever the
latest and greatest is in the future.

-Greg