[mythtv-users] Re: Back of the envelope calcs for minimum network speed

Micah.Wedemeyer at gtri.gatech.edu Micah.Wedemeyer at gtri.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 6 21:44:19 UTC 2005

Regarding cable types - I wouldn't spend the extra money on Cat 6. Cat
should do ya nicely.

If you're just buying a cable at WalMart or Best Buy, I would agree.
However, if you're planning on running wire behind the walls, Cat6 in
bulk is not that much more expensive than Cat5e. At one site, Cat6 is
$150 for 1000ft, vs $90 for Cat5e.  I tend to spend a little more on
future-proofing when it's something going behind a wall or under the
floor.  It's easier to spend more now than rip stuff out and replace in
the future.