[mythtv-users] Video capture problems with Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 250

John T. Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Tue Sep 6 01:55:13 UTC 2005

I am installing mythtv using the wilsonet.com documentation and
everything seemed to be going fine until I got to the point of testing
the video capture.

Next I will show some of the configuration.

When I enter /sbin/lspci -v I get the following for the wintv PVR 250

02:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)

        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 250

        Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]

[mythtv at localhost ~]$ ll /dev/video?

crw-------  1 mythtv root 81, 0 Sep  5 20:11 /dev/video0

[root at localhost mythtv]# /bin/dmesg |grep Initialized

[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.0 20040925

[drm] Initialized radeon 1.16.0 20050311 on minor 0:

ivtv: Initialized WinTV PVR 250, card #0

When I try to capture video nothing happens so I enter the following
commands

# /usr/lib/ivtv/ptune-ui.pl &

# mplayer -vo xv /dev/video0

I now see the tuner and the mplayer window but the only way I can get a
picture in mplayer is to use the yellow video in on place the tuner on
composite 4.  Whenever I try to get any video from the coax input I get
nothing.  I have tried changing channels and still nothing.  I even
tried a VCR set for channel 3 or 4 and got nothing to display.  Any
ideas would be greatly appreciated.