[mythtv-users] Did I get this right? (Set-Up)

Andrew Balmos abalmos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 23:29:21 UTC 2005

<sinp>

> This is my understanding, though I've been warned off of having two
> separate devices for receiver and transmitter.

Really? I wonder why...

<sinp>

> Um. My guess is that this would be a bad idea unless you're talking really
> light activity. Obviousy no gaming but also, I would think, no
> disk-intensive stuff. Nothing that would impair the I/O systems being used
> by Myth. You don't mention how powerful a machine you're using, either.

Ya, that's my fear.  I am learning Linux system administration (just
playing around with different software and configuring it and playing
with hardware, etc), and I do the basics you know email, Internet,
etc... The most that would be going on with MythTV while I am using
the my computer is that there might be a show on (i.e. only one feed
and no games or ripping dvd's etc), and when i am going that I would
not be using my computer...

I'm sorry I forgot to mention my machine specs (I thought about it,
just must have forgotten), I am running a AMD Sempron 2800+ and I will
have a SATA-150 7200rpm hard drive.  512MB DDR333 Ram. GeForce FX
5200 AGP.

> Also, you say the system will be behind you? Are you running the s-video
> cable across your room? Isn't there degradation that occurs over distance?

Well the cable box will be behind me also, the only long cable will be
the composite connection that will connect to my TV, and that at most
will be 25'.

Andrew