[mythtv-users] Direct TV + WinTV-PVR-500MCE

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 3 16:01:43 UTC 2005

James wrote:

>I currently have a Tivo from direct TV that as far as
>I can see has a cable that runs straight from the
>satelite dish into the back of it.
>
>I want to replace the Tivo with MythTV but isn't there
>some kind of encryption on the satelite that at
>present the Tivo is dealing with?
>
>Can I only have MythTV if I have a standard receiver
>or can I run a cable from the Tivo into the back of
>this?

You set it up to go from the dish to the DirectTiVo (for decryption)
then out the DirectTiVo's S-Video (or composite) output to the PVR-500's
S-Video input.

You'll need a separate DirectTV receiver for each tuner on the PVR-500
you want to feed with satellite channels (so, you'd probably need 2
DirectTV receivers).

Also, the DirecTiVo won't be doing you much good, so you might be able
to see if you can swap it out for a standard receiver to save the $5/mo
(or $6/mo if you're a new user) DirecTiVo fee.  That should just cover
the cost of an additional receiver.  However, if you end up getting a
3rd PVR card, you'll need a 3rd DirecTV receiver...

Mike