[mythtv-users] Crackling and popping in non-PVR analog card -- I think I can say it's MythTV's fault

Michael Cowell michael at mousewasher.dk
Sat Sep 3 14:39:04 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I am also experiencing a problem like this. I have the following setup:

AMD Duron 1 GHz
384 MB SDRAM
Twinview DVB-T capture card
Pinnacle PCTV bt878 based capture card
SBLive! emu10k1 based audio card

Linux distro is Gentoo. Kernel version is 2.6.12-gentoo-r8. I am using
unpatched V4L.

Obviously the popping / clicking occurs only with the analog card.

You might think my box is outdated, that's because it is! Interestingly
I had this same hardware running MythTV 0.15 a while ago, also with
Gentoo and a 2.6 series kernel (I think it was around 2.6.2 back then),
but there was no clicking.

My CPU does not max out when doing analogue recording. I have tried ALSA
and OSS, and have changed recording levels extensively. This did not fix
the issue.

I don't mind the popping too much because I only use the analogue card
when the digital one is busy.

I mention this because it seems to me that my experience indicates that:

1. This does not appear to be a hardware fault (I had clear audio going
using this hardware before software upgrade).
2. This does not appear to be a capture card problem (my capture card is
different to Sergio's, at both the board and chipset level).
3. The emu10k1 chipset is a common factor here. Maybe that is the
problem. I imagine the driver has had a lot of work since 2.6.2.

If I can provide any more information please let me know. This problem
interests me because I can't see a clear reason for it occurring. The
distortion "sounds analogue" (like clipping / RF interference), but DSP
is so advanced these days that this could easily be a digital hardware /
software issue.

Thanks,

Michael Cowell