[mythtv-users] Crackling and popping in non-PVR analog card -- I think I can say it's MythTV's fault

Jay Jarvinen jay-lists at 3pound.com
Sat Sep 3 03:54:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:59:39 +0100
Sérgio Gomes <sergiomdgomes at netcabo.pt> wrote:

> Inside MythTV:
> - The amount of crackling (or at least the loudness) goes up with the
> loudness of the broadcast; if it's quiet there's almost no crackling,
> but if there are a lot of people talking or loud sounds, there is a
> lot of crackling
> - Happens with ALSA and OSS

How about crackling on .mp3/wav playback using XMMS or similar player?
ALSA? OSS? (That is, independent of the patch cable from TV card to
line-in)

My SBLive! (snd-emu10k1) crackles as described, using ALSA, but not OSS.
Specifically, the crackling or 'tapping' sound only occurs when there's
actual wave output, not during silence.

I found similar complaints on the web (mostly Windows-centric forums)
but was unable to find a solution. Sadly, I opted to just use my onboard
sound for Myth, and OSS for the SBLive.

-Jay