[mythtv-users] OT: How to calculate displaysize

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Fri Sep 2 18:01:43 UTC 2005

Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> This doesn't make sense to me (probably why I'm asking the question in the first
> place).  You're calculating displaysize based on the resolution rather than the
> physical dimensions of the display.  The man page for xorg.conf says the
> following:
>
> DisplaySize width height
>     This optional entry gives the width and height, in millimetres, of the
> picture area of the monitor. If given this is used to calculate the horizontal
> and vertical pitch (DPI) of the screen.

The xorg documentation is applicable in case of a computer monitor that
you only watch from a couple of feet away.

In case of a TV that you watch from far away, the truth is not what you
want. The idea is to lie and tell X that the physical screen dimensions
are smaller than what they really are (because the TV appears much
smaller than if it was watched from up close).

Bolek