[mythtv-users] HD3000 and High-Def

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 08:52:35 UTC 2005

On 8/31/05, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for some background on HD since I currently only run in SD.
>
> Can someone give me the lay of the land as far as being able to recieve HD
> and watch HD?  I "assume", bad word on my behalf, that by owning an HD card
> (HD2000- HD3000) that the "decoding" portion of the signal is complete all
> that is left is the actual signal?

I've got an HD3000 and I use an OTA antenna, NOT my cable companies cable (QAM).

You plug either your cable company fed cable into the card, OR a cable
running from (usually) a large roof top antenna.  The cable company is
called QAM, the antenna is called OTA, I seem to remember seeing it
also called 8VSB.  The HD3000 supports both.

> We currenly have cable but do not use a cable box so we only get channels
> below 70, I think it's with Insight Cable. Do you need a box or other
> hardware to recieve the signal or just plug and play?

This should be a plug and play thing, at least as far as that goes.
You will need to configure your card correctly within myth, but I
think that part is obvious.

> Thanks for any insight the group can give.

Insight, funny choice of words since that's your provider ;)

The card is great.  Getting the DVB drivers all running happily
together can be a bit cumbersome for about 30 minutes, but the more I
do it, the faster I can iron out the creases it seems.  I have yet to
use QAM at all, but from what I have read around here, on the AVS
forums and from a few different miscellaneous pages, it provides more
options and includes all the options that are available OTA.  I have
about 4 other capture cards that do my non-HD stuff for me, so I don't
bother to see if the grass is greener or not.

Good Luck!