[mythtv-users] HD3000 and High-Def

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Sep 1 03:32:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:56:20 -0700, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:

>  So, from what I understandfrom my friends HD is like in the upper 500's
> on
> our cable system which mimics it's counterpart on in SD let's say
> channel 3.
> Will I be able to tune to the 500's HD channels or are you saying if
> channel
> 3 is broadcasting in HDthen I would beable to watch in HD if I had one of
> these cards?
>  How large would an HD file be? An SD file for me for about an hour of
> viewing is 3 gig give or take a bit.

I have HDTV through the cable. It didn't cost anything and it looks good
but view choice is very limited. The big four (starting at channel 1100!),
PBS, Discovery, HBO and Showtime. Also, if you're willing to pay for it
(I'm not), two HD-only channels showing an odd assortment of recent TV
shows and movies from the late '70s and early '80s. The two-dozen OTA
channels are less than compelling, too.

However, I called my cable company to ask about the whole firewire thing,
and the rep was very up-front: The image from the S-Video was going to be
as good as the firewire port, and the firewire port is protected.

I've come to the conclusion the media conglomerates never got over the
ruling that allolwed "time shifting" with VCRs.