[mythtv-users] Multiple Systems - Multiple Remotes

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 31 17:37:51 EST 2005

Mercury Morris wrote:

>I can't stop building MythTV systems-
>each one is a combination Backend/Frontend combination.
>
>So, I need a separate remote control device for each,
>and have chosen ATI Remote Wonder RF units.
>
>Each remote can be configured to a unique "unit code ID".
>
>My question is how to configure the kernel module, lirc_atiusb,
>in each individual MythTV system so it responds only to its own
>specific remote.  Have you done this?  It doesn't look too hard
>to do, just from reading through the source code for lirc_atiusb.c.
>

>I'm just hoping to shorten the trial-and-error period
>of experimenting with the source code for lirc_atiusb.c.
>So if you have any experience with multiple ATI Remote Wonder RF
>units and would be willing to share what you did, please post a reply.

options lirc_atiusb unique=1

and use version 0.7.0pre5 or above.

It works, too.  My remote is configured to use remote code 1 (note that
the configuration is specified by the lircd.conf, not by the 1
above--the 1 above is a boolean indicating true), but--I now know--my
remote "defaults" to 16.  So, when I dropped my remote one day and it
knocked the batteries out, my remote quit working.  Of course, I didn't
try the remote after dropping it, so the next time I used the remote and
it wasn't working, I thought it was bad batteries.  It was low-priority
(I had a wireless keyboard), but about 6 days later, I finally
thought--maybe the channel needs reset...  :)

Unfortunately, another Myth box I maintain has a RW that defaults to
code 1, so short of maintaining two lircd.conf's, I can't make a more
fail-safe remote configuration, but now that I know, it's not a problem.

Also, if you're currently using a version earlier than 0.7.0pre5, you'll
have to create a new lircd.conf.  My config from before the change
didn't work after the change--even when I set unique=0 (or left the
option out--it defaults to ignoring the channel).

Mike