[mythtv-users] Help Diskless frontend

Phill Wiggin wigginp at mantech-wva.com
Mon Oct 31 15:12:30 EST 2005

Robert Denier wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 09:14 -0500, Phill Wiggin wrote:
>

>>Out of curiosity, why does your setup "suck[s] for mythfrontend"?  I was
>>planning on setting up a similar system (to get rid of the HD in my
>>

>My diskless system works..  Its gentoo based.  I don't have it auto
>haven't spent the time on it.  (That and tapping my right control key on
>my keyboard switches to that computer anyway...)  I did plug in an ati
>RF remote and compiled that module, but that was a stop gap until I got
>around to doing the full lirc setup which I'll eventually clone to other
>systems..

I'm glad to hear your setup works.. it sounds like mine. ;)

I'm running Gentoo and already have lirc working on the current FE.   I
was going to just tar up the FE's HD and toss it on my fileserver and
PXE boot (not sure if it'll work out that easily, but I figure it's
worth a shot).

>One irritation on my setup is the board doesn't survive a reboot without
>turning off the power for ~10 seconds first.

I think I can deal with that. Thanks for the heads-up.

>Basically, if your going diskless expect more work to set it up, and you
>likely want 512MB of ram.  For the 'Ideal' diskless setup, if you can
>find a motherboard with a gigabit ethernet jack that will boot diskless
>it might improve performance a bit.  Basically it might save a few
>seconds here and there...  (Mine is just 100BT).

ATM, I've only got 256M in my FE, but I can remedy that easily enough.
My mobo only has 100BT onboard, but I can move it up to GigE by getting
"creative" with a half-height tech-tool*.

>Of course if you just want a quiet system you could possibly use a
>little laptop drive and pretty much do the same thing..
>
>-Robert

I considered the laptop HD, but figured I'd remove a point of failure
rather than adding an additional one. :)

Thanks for the info,

Phill W.

* tech-tool - Backplate cover screwed into place where you don't have
expansion cards installed.  Various usages, each more suprising than the
last.

I spent a few years doing Tech support (and managing the poor folks that
build/repaired computers). Our technicians used them in all kinds of
crazy ways...
Need a flathead screwdriver? "Tech-tool"...
Need a prybar to get that floppy loose? "Tech-tool"...
Need something to fish that screwdriver out from under the motherboard?
"Tech-tool!"