Settling the HD debate WAS: Re: [mythtv-users] A warning about Samsung HDDs

Aran Cox spin667 at mchsi.com
Mon Oct 31 11:33:20 EST 2005

> ... mountain of good info deleted

I have experienced drive failures with every brand imaginable as
well... the real issue is that the brand and model doesn't say much
from month to month about the quality of the drive.  (I know, you
covered this.)

The real thing everyone should keep in mind is that if you care about
the data on a drive: do backups or use mirrored drives.  backups and
mirrors don't really achieve the same goals... I prefer backups
myself.  Bottom line is though, if losing the data would be painful
you better make sure it's on another disk or some removable media
(CD, DVD, tape, etc.)

Just my 2 cents.

PS: I have 8(?) year-old 4GB Seagate SCSI drives in my computer at
work and despite being painfully slow by today's standards (not to
mention small) they absolutely refuse to die.