[mythtv-users] DVB-S Users: Anyone have C-band?

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 20:40:52 EST 2005

Thank you so much for the info. It gives me a very good idea of how you feel
about it. I just have a few more questions... :)

On 10/30/05, Robert Denier <denier at umr.edu> wrote:

> Bear in mind that my C-band info is not current. We never purchased a
> 4DTV system because it just wasn't cost effective compared to the little
> dishes especially with multiple receivers. I think 4DTV receivers might
> have a second channel number for digital channels, although I do not
> know the details.

So, it sounds like the 4DTV is a more expensive setup that requires
different hardware. I've noticed on Zap2it, if you choose 4DTV it has
programming info for like 200 channels. Are these all free? The zap2it guys
have programming info for C-band, is that what your referring to as info
that's not current? Also, does 4DTV span multiple satellites?

Generally on the remotes you would have a letter key assigned to each
> number key. I.E. 0 - 9 were different letters. Satcom 1 just became F1
> and Galaxy 3 became G3 and so on. On the remote you would press
>
> Sat -> G -> 3 except the G was really one of the number keys..
>
> This would change to a particular satellite and then you would change
> the channel by either the up/down button or entering 1-24.

So I imagine that there is another box that your remote talks to and that
controls which satellite your dish is aimed at. What I really want to do is
have my computer control all the aiming and tuning and not have to deal with
satellite numbers and letters. Is there any hardware/software out there that
will do this? I just want to tell it to tune to channel X and have the
computer adjust everything that it needs to in order to recieve the
transmission. A perfect setup! :)

The C-band system we have uses a set of wires for the linear actuator, a
> set of 3 wires for the polarization motor, and a coaxial cable for the
> C-band signals. Any newer units will have a second coaxial cable for Ku
> band signals. The actuator wires typically run at something like 24-36
> volts with the direction of movement controlled by which one is made
> positive. A thin pair of wires return pulses to track position.

This information clears up much of my questions. Thank you for it.

In general 3 doesn't apply to me because we have several receivers. I
> can't think of any channels on C-band I want anymore. I thought about
> just buying HBO (You can buy 1 channel and it probably would still be
> cheaper than adding it to the small dish) there and connecting it to
> myth, but that would likely be a pain. Finally the picture difference
> is not that big of a deal, and there is a lot more maintenance involved
> in keeping C-band systems performing at their peak compared to small
> dish systems...

So you have both C-band and Ku-band dishes, and you find that the Ku
programming info is better than what you find on C? Is there any advantage
to setting up a small dish that can move to multiple satellites?

Thank you for your info.
-Greg