[mythtv-users] Better looking playback?

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 19:55:23 EST 2005

On 10/30/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
>
> > I have a nvidia geforce 5200, using svideo out. Mythtv looks sharp
> > and very nice looking. However playback is still not that great. Not
> > really sharp like the menu. I've played with the XV picture color
> > controls, and tried kernel, bob, and liner deinterlacing techniques
> > and nothing looks as sharp as that. Is it because it's deinterlacing
> > the video? or because of the ivtv driver for the 2 pvr 250's i have?
>
> In a manner of speaking. It's likely the NTSC--both your PVR-250's
> recording NTSC and your video card outputting NTSC. You can fix the
> video card outputting NTSC by using a better connection (like
> DVI/VGA/Component), but can only fix the PVR-250's recording NTSC by
> upgrading to high-def capture and playback.

So playback could look better over DVI, that would be nice. So how do you go
to high def capture, and isn't there only like 6 channels in High Def, i
have HD on my cable box, but only Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC, TNT, ESPN, and one
other channel come in HD, so wouldn't High-def capture capture at the same
things for the other channels as the PVr-250's? Or is there a card out there
that captures regular tv better? Also, i was thinking that a better ivtv
driver, than perhaps the one i'm using, would actually look beter, Like it
seems my old Tivo (i have the original with no subscription) looks better
than a lot of recordings of my pvr-250's.

> I've seen 5200 with dvi outs (like this, but this is 5500,
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130197), i
> > have a 52" lg dlp tv with dvi input, my cable and my dvd player go to
> > the 2 composite inputs, would getting this video card could i then run
> > it in progressive so no deinterlacing required?
>
> You will want to deinterlace all interlaced video you pass over the DVI
> output. Normally, your TV would deinterlace the NTSC and any interlaced
> ATSC video coming in through its tuner/component/S-Video/composite
> inputs, but it simply displays the DVI signal as input. So, if you
> don't deinterlace, you'll see interlacing artifacts since your TV is not
> interlaced. The problem is the interlaced input--all your recordings
> off PVR-x50's are interlaced because NTSC is interlaced.

Than i'm confused, my TV can display 1080i and 720p (480p and others, but
those are the two highest resolutions), so i thought 1080i was interlaced
display, so if the video going over dvi was interlaced wouldn't that show
fine as long as the dvi select was for 1080i? I'll admit i'm a bit slow when
it comes to all this stuff with HighDef resolutions between tv and
computers, so thanks for the help.

Mike

Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell