[mythtv-users] Better looking playback?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 30 19:30:50 EST 2005

MacNean Tyrrell wrote:

> I have a nvidia geforce 5200, using svideo out.  Mythtv looks sharp
> and very nice looking.  However playback is still not that great.  Not
> really sharp like the menu.  I've played with the XV picture color
> controls, and tried kernel, bob, and liner deinterlacing techniques
> and nothing looks as sharp as that.  Is it because it's deinterlacing
> the video?  or because of the ivtv driver for the 2 pvr 250's i have?

In a manner of speaking.  It's likely the NTSC--both your PVR-250's
recording NTSC and your video card outputting NTSC.  You can fix the
video card outputting NTSC by using a better connection (like
DVI/VGA/Component), but can only fix the PVR-250's recording NTSC by
upgrading to high-def capture and playback.

> I've seen 5200 with dvi outs (like this, but this is 5500,
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130197), i
> have a 52" lg dlp tv with dvi input, my cable and my dvd player go to
> the 2 composite inputs, would getting this video card could i then run
> it in progressive so no deinterlacing required?

You will want to deinterlace all interlaced video you pass over the DVI
output.  Normally, your TV would deinterlace the NTSC and any interlaced
ATSC video coming in through its tuner/component/S-Video/composite
inputs, but it simply displays the DVI signal as input.  So, if you
don't deinterlace, you'll see interlacing artifacts since your TV is not
interlaced.  The problem is the interlaced input--all your recordings
off PVR-x50's are interlaced because NTSC is interlaced.

Mike