[mythtv-users] Alternative interface for playing recordings?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 16:00:12 EDT 2005

On 29/10/05, Al Puzzuoli <apuzzuoli at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just wondering whether there are any alternatives to using the KDE front end
> for browsing and playing recorded shows?
>
> A little background as to why I'm asking:
> I am a blind user, and have been a Linux enthusiast for years.  Those of us
> who can't see the screen are able to access information via screen reading
> software.  Currently, the most active projects in terms of screen reading on
> the Linux gui side are Gnopernicus:
> http://www.baum.ro/gnopernicus_summary.html
> and sun's Orca.  The problem right now is that at present, the
> aforementioned screen readers can only work with Gnome2/GTK2 applications.
> Accessibility support is in the works for KDE, and should happen with the
> implementation of QT4; However, I'm guessing it'll be a matter of a year or
> two before we end users start to reap the benefits of these developments.
>
> if anyone is curious, more information about KDE accessibility is available
> at:
> http://accessibility.kde.org/
>
> A lot of us in the blindness community are extremely excited about these
> homebrew PVR solutions.  Until recently, PVRs have been closed systems with
> on screen menus and therefore basically useless to us.  To date, the best
> solution I know of is a hacked Tivo running Tivoweb.  The Tivoweb interface
> is very accessible.it allows scheduling of recordings but just as
> importantly, with the screen interface, we are able to browse and play those
> recordings back.
>
> My experience so far with MythTV has been as follows:
> I am able to use the box as if it were a TV.  obviously, all basic
> functions, such as changing channels pausing, etc are available via the
> keyboard and/or the remote.
> The program guide through Mythweb is extremely accessible, so scheduling
> shows is a snap.  however, I'm running into a wall when it comes to playing
> back those recordings.  From what I can deduce, the only way to do this
> conveniently appears to be via the frontend.  I see the .nuv files in my
> /video directory. I assume I could play the via the command line with
> mplayer, but due to the way they're named, I can't tell them apart.
>
> Any pointers and/or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Al,

I'm pretty sure there is a script available with MythTV (contribs
directory?) that allows recordings to be named with more user-friendly
names such as show title, instead of just the channel numbers and
start/stop times. This should make it a lot easier for you to decide
which file relates to which recording. It should also be possible to
play these NUV files via the links in MythWeb (recorded programs tab)
using the media player of your choice.

Nick