[mythtv-users] Front end memory usage

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Oct 29 15:40:27 EDT 2005

Alberto Alonso wrote:

>I am experimenting with a diskless setup based on Knoppmyth R5A16
>
>After the frontend is done resizing things, memory usage of the
>mythfrontend process starts to increase from 18M (right after the
>resizing is done) to 107M of Resident memory (virtual is at 171M)
>
>Trying to run the weather plugin kills the frontend, as I only
>have 256M RAM and it runs out of memory.
>
>So, the question is, where is the frontend memory going? It seems
>that 107M of resident RAM just to display the main menu is quite
>excessive. Did I miss-configure my system?

Mine is using 17M physical memory (16M shared) and 58M virtual memory
while displaying the main menu after 44 1/2 CPU hours (just upgraded my
TV to a digital TV, so I had to change my resolution) during which I've
watched several shows and used plugins--and I'm now using a 1920x1080 X
and Myth GUI resolution.

  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+
COMMAND
  660 root       9   0 58284  17m  16m R  0.7  3.5  44:28.03
mythfrontend

So, the only help I can really provide is that this is not normal and is
not a Myth bug.  So, it's probably a configuration problem.  The
question then becomes, "Configuration of what?"

Mike