[mythtv-users] Occasional hard freezes

Jason Werpy jwwerpy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 10:14:40 EDT 2005

On 10/27/05, Steve Pugh <stevepugh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Ryan Steffes <rbsteffes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I thought I had finally gotten this fixed with the
> > kernel option nolapic,
> > but it happened to me again. I am experiencing hard
> > lock ups that seem to be
> > related to high data throughput, but aren't
> > consistent enough for me to
> > track down. When it freezes, only hitting the reset
> > or power button fixes
> > it.
>
> Hi Ryan,
>
> I'm wondering if your situation might be similar to
> mine but you've certainly checked more possible
> troublespots than I did, I just got lucky with the
> timing of my request ;-)
>
> I was experiencing what I thought were lockups when
> deleting recorded programs, either through the
> interface or via MythWeb. Turns out it wasn't a
> lockup (although the interface and/or Mythweb became
> frozen, and puTTY'ing in did not work). The freeze
> was temporary (lasting a few to several minutes) and
> related to deleting *large* files from my ext3
> filesystem. As far as I can tell, it's been remedied
> by switching to XFS for my program storage drive (only
> five days of testing so far).
>
> Just a thought, not *entirely* your situation but
> close enough that I thought I'd post. If your
> curious, you can search for my threads from the past
> week and change.
>
> Best,
> Steve

I think you had a different issue. I am using reiserfs like the original
poster (I like to be able to resize lvms down), and I see a delete pause of
1-2 seconds, no lockups or anything.

However, I can induce a hard lockup on my box very easily. If I run a very
data intensive process I _will_ get a hard lockup. I have moved commercial
detection to my slave backend beacuse every 2-3 months I will get a hard
lockup if I have a lot of commercial detection jobs running. Transcoding
also causes issues. Of course I have an nforce2 chipset and I believe that
it is the root of the problem. The only solace I can give you is that I have
managed to configure my box to have really good uptime by keeping the large
intensive jobs on the slave.