[mythtv-users] Problems with libmepg2

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 09:33:24 EDT 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 21:19, Tj wrote:
> There seems to be some problems when using the libmpeg2 decoder (Using
> SVN 7609 ATM) :
>
> 1) Mythweb thumbnails are pixelated
> 2) Fast forwarding/rewinding live TV or recordings - picture is
> pixelated, last 20 lines or so of the picture are corrupted (seems to
be
> from previous frames).
> 3) Watching a transcoded movie - first few frames seems to be
pixelated,
> last 20 lines or so of the picture don't match
> 4) Watching live tv/recordings that has not be transcoded yet - first
> few frames are corrupted, but then picture turns normal again. If your
> FF/REV, the problems in (2) starts happening, play at normal speed and
> the picture is normal.

I abandoned using libmpeg2 some months ago because I determined it was
causing my transcoded shows to be horribly jumpy and pixellated with
spotty audio (though strangely enough, using it for LiveTV was just
fine).  I haven't tried it since then, so that issue may have been
fixed.  Just thought I'd provide a data point.

> Only libmpeg2 exhibit the above symptoms, "Standard" or "XvMC" do not.
> libmepg2 installed on my system is 0.4.0b

Myth uses its own copy of libmpeg2, not the one installed on your
system.

-JAC