[mythtv-users] An LVM'd drive died! What do I do...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 27 21:55:58 EDT 2005

Andrew Close wrote:

>On 10/27/05, Brandon Beattie <brandon+myth at linuxis.us> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 02:42:15PM -0500, Andrew Close wrote:
>>

>>>On 10/27/05, Brandon Beattie <brandon+myth at linuxis.us> wrote:
>>><snip/>

>>>excellent thread! :)  i had to come back to the above statement
>>>because i've seen it mentioned before and am just looking for a little
>>>clarity.
>>>
>>>storing to multiple directories - what is meant by that?
>>>do you want to store all your Lost episodes in /myth/tv/Lost, and all
>>>of your SG-1 episodes in /myth/tv/SG-1?  so you have subdirectories
>>>under /myth/tv.
>>>
>>>or do you mean breaking outthe directories into their own partitions -
>>>/dev/hdb1 = /myth/tv/Lost
>>>/dev/hdb2 = /myth/tv/SG-1
>>>
>>>you can kind of do this now, can't you?  without the subdirectories -
>>>/dev/hdb1 = /myth/tv
>>>/dev/hdb2 = /myth/video
>>>etc...
>>>

>>There have been a number of ways proposed.  My current thought of the
>>"best" is to allow you to create "storage groups".  You can add
>>directories to a storage group and list how much space in MB (or how
>>much to leave free on that directories partition).  When you record a TV
>>show you can have it save it to the general storage group, or have it
>>save it to a specific one.
>>
>>The difficulty in any mutliple directory approach is what happens when
>>you have 5 GB free in this directory, 20GB free in another, and 500K in
>>another.  Do we split up video streams, do we move files between them,
>>and so on.  a 4 hour HD show that's 36GB can be tricky.  If you had 6
>>drives and anywhere from 5GB to 20GB free, which do you store to?  Add
>>in auto-expire and it gets even more tricky.
>>

>please forgive my ignorance of the Linux filesystem, but i thought
>that if you had a directory, /myth for example, that the directories
>in it would shrink and grow accordingly unless you set them to
>particular partitions.  so /myth is on a 300GB partition and it
>contains /myth/tv.  /myth/tv will grow as long as there is room on the
>partition.
>i'm guessing that shrinking is the problem since that's been mentioned
>with XFS and JFS...
>so my /myth/tv directory will grow to 200GB and then i decide to
>delete all my content.  but with XFS /myth/tv is still 200GB in size
>even though it is empty?  so if i want to add my dvd collection i've
>only got ~50GB of space left even though i've deleted all the content
>in /myth/tv..?
>if this is the case then i guess one of my scenarios would still work,
>but it would use space rather inefficiently.
>maybe we need to bug IBM into making XFS (that's theirs right?) shrinkable. :)
>
>cool stuff.  it's funny how the more you play with your setup the more
>crazy ideas you get and the more stuff there appears to be done!

They were talkig about mounting partitions (or LVM's or RAID devices) in
directories under the recordings directory and about resizing partitions
(or LVM's or--to some extent-RAID devices).  If you want to resize a
partition (or LVM or--if allowed--RAID device), you have to resize the
filesystem on that partition (or LVM or RAID device), and some
filesystems don't allow resizing.

However, if you delete 200GB of data from /myth/tv, then the filesystem
on the partition (or LVM or RAID device) that contains /myth/tv now has
200GB more space available--(almost) regardless of filesystem type
(don't worry about the almost--any filesystem you're likely to use for
Myth, and even ones you're not, will reclaim the space--including
ext2/3, XFS, ReiserFS (even Reiser4), or JFS).

Mike