[mythtv-users] Adding PVR 500 to 350 system

Todd Houle thoule at wesleyan.edu
Thu Oct 27 14:33:07 EDT 2005

Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm a little nervous about
breaking this new Myth system now that my wife relies on it so much!
I'm hoping to get this done in time to record ER for her tonight...

I have a Fedora 4 system built about a month ago using Jarrod's guide
and help from this list (thanks everyone!).  It's on a Dell GX 140
(1.7GHz) and a PVR350 which is working great.  I just bought a
PVR500MCE and am getting ready to put it in when I get home from work
today.

What do I do to set this up?  I guess add

      alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
      alias char-major-81-2 ivtv

to my modprobe.conf file.....?   What else do I need to do?

I see the following in Jarrod's guide- is this relevant to setting up
the PVR 500- to tell it to use the tuner for input... Or is it only
for testing?
# /usr/bin/ivtvctl -u 0x3000 -d /dev/video1
# /usr/bin/ivtvctl -p 4 -d /dev/video1
# /usr/bin/ivtvctl -f width=720,height=480 /dev/video1

Then of course, set it up in mythtv-setup - I think I can handle that...

This was setup about a month ago, so I assume somewhat recent...  My
cable modem is down this week (thanks comcast) so I can't see what
versions I am running from here.

Thanks
    Todd