[mythtv-users] An LVM'd drive died! What do I do...

Brian C. Huffman huffman at graze.net
Thu Oct 27 11:51:47 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 11:42 -0400, Bryan Halter wrote:

> Well to start with for RAID you need to have disks that are all the same
> size (preferably the same model).  I believe Linux supports growing
> software RAID volumes and I'm sure someone will correct me if it
> doesn't.  Personally I'd go out and buy a 4 device SATA-RAID controller
> and 4 250GB drives that will give you 750GB of storage and fewer
> headaches since the RAID array will be seen as any other scsi disk and
> the card will do the thinking so you won't take a CPU hit for having
> RAID.

My recommendation as well - and I did it.  In fact, I built a nice
little "Media NFS Server" using an old Pentium 3 that I had lying around
(free), an Adaptec AAR-2400A 4-channel ATA/100 RAID Card for $109
(shipped) off of Ebay, and 4 - 200GB Maxtor IDE drives at $70 each
(shipped) (Fry's Outpost).  As it turns out, I already had 2 - 200GB
drives in my frontend, so I really only spent a total of $249.  :-)

You could go SATA, but IDE is gonna be cheaper, and I haven't had any
problems with performance yet.

-b