[mythtv-users] (slightly OT) improving wireless connections

Nelson Tang tang at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 27 11:12:26 EDT 2005

Hello list members, I've been following the list for awhile, and
hopefully this isn't too far OT for the list:

I use to live in a two-story townhouse and had my Myth BE/FE
downstairs, connected via 802.11g to a FE running on my desktop
machine upstairs.  My wireless signal was great, and I could watch
something on the FE with only a rare occasional stutter.

Now, I've moved to a 3-story townhouse, and the BE/FE is all the way
in the basement, but the desktop machine is on the upper floor, so
it's two floors away.  Now my wireless signal is so weak that if I try
to watch something on the FE I get pauses every few seconds, making
things unwatchable.  (While downloading a file over the net, I was
getting about 10Mb/s, so definitely too slow.)

So, my question is, is there a good way to improve my wireless signal?
 Any placement tips, antenna orientation, etc.?  Any references online
I can read?  If it matters, the two stations are a Linksys WRT54G with
a Sveasoft firmware (don't remember which version offhand) on the
FE/BE and a Netgear WGT624v2.

Thanks for any suggestions,
--nelson