[mythtv-users] Really simple multiple capture card question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 27 09:59:16 EDT 2005

Chris Ribe wrote:

> I am setting up a system with an old bttv card and a new PVR-150
> installed.
>
> How do I figure out which card corresponds to which device?  I.e. is
> the PVR-150 /dev/video0, /dev/video1, /dev/video24, or /dev/video32?

a) logs (i.e. your system log--something like /var/log/messages
depending on distro)

b) your mod{ules,probe}.conf, which will (should) say something like:

alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias char-major-81-1 bttv

indicating that card 0 is your PVR-150 card, where card 0 = /dev/video0

(depending on distro, these might be spread out through various config
files)

c) README.devices in the ivtv distribution, which says:

/dev/video0 - The encoding capture device(s). Read-only.
/dev/video16 - The decoder output device(s). Write-only. (PVR-350)
/dev/video24 - The raw audio capture device(s). Read-only
/dev/video32 - The raw video capture device(s). Read-only
/dev/video48 - The raw video display device(s). Write-only (PVR-350)
/dev/radio0 - The radio tuner device(s). Cannot be read or written.
/dev/vbi0 - The 'vertical blank interval' (Teletext, CC, WSS etc)
capture device(s). Read-only
/dev/vbi4 - Processed vbi feedback device(s). Read-only. (PVR-350)
/dev/vbi8 - The vbi 'display' device(s). Write-only (PVR-350)

d) and, the fact that video0 is the first tuner card initialized and
video1 is the second coupled with the knowledge that initializing the
bttv card first usually causes ivtv failures, which implies that the
PVR-150 is card0 = /dev/video0.

e) as already suggested, empirical evidence

Mike