[mythtv-users] An LVM'd drive died! What do I do...

Simpson, Richard Richard.Simpson at wgint.com
Thu Oct 27 09:11:53 EDT 2005

Backups are the traditional approach to data recovery. There's a lot of good software that will allow periodic backups cost effectively. I do automatic nightly backups to another workstation that has spare HD capacity. I backup just the OS (including /home) because I don't want to have to rebuild it; the video storage is not that important. If you do want total redundancy, RAID-5 is a good way to go, but it will likely require more expensive SATAs or SCSIs to overcome the 4 drive IDE limitation, bigger power supply, more heat and noise, etc.

Richard.