[mythtv-users] Installing projectX from source?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 26 11:44:42 EDT 2005

Robin Gilks wrote:

>>But projectx doesn't come as a jar file

Yes it does.

>> - it comes as a bunch of .java
>>files that are compiled by the sdk into a jar file - that step works fine.
>>What I can't get right is where do I put the library files it depends on
>>that are created during the 'compile' step. Does java have a seperate
>>search path that it uses to hunt out missing bits?
>>
>>Sounds to me like everyone who has suceeded with this is running an rpm
>>distro :-((
>>
>Getting there... now I get the error:
>Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>net/sourceforge/dvb/projectx/common/X
>
>Googling shows lots of people with the same error but so far I've not
>found a solution. Again it comes down to the installation I think in that
>the files are found when the jar is compiled but then NOT found at run
>time ;-((
>
>Note that this error occurs with just a simple {equivalant of} "projectx
>--help"!!

You do realize that there's absolutely no reason to compile your own
with a Java application, right?

Just download the compiled version as directed on my previous post:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/156916#156916

However, I now realize you have to find it yourself--doom9 only accepts
requests with a referrer within their domain and they don't even do it
right, so you might have to clear some stuff out of your browser for it
to work if you've already clicked on a direct link (the easiest way is
to just restart your browser).  Go to http://www.doom9.org/ , click on
"Download," then search for "ProjectX," then download the zip file that
contains the binary version (the jar file).

Mike