[mythtv-users] FC4 & MythTV - Computer powering down... sort of! - FRUSTRATION!!

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Wed Oct 26 08:17:51 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 06:26, David Bennett wrote:
> This may seem like a terribly lazy question but this:
> > I usually run with a custom kernel that matches my hardware
> > exactly.  When moving to another box, I first copy on a
> > recent knoppix kernel and modules and make that my default
> > kernel.  Once on the new box I can see what hardware it
> > found (using dmesg and lspci) and cook a new custom kernel.
>
> IS EXACTLY what I would like to do. Problem is I have no idea how to
> copy on a new kernel and have that load as the default kernel. At that
> point I wouldn't know what to be looking for in dmesg and lspci to
> make a new kernel, and once I did find out what I needed I wouldn't
> know how to get it and make a new kernel.
>
> I don't suppose anyone knows of a step-by-step manual on how to do exactly
> this? ... anyone?
You need to copy the kernel itself and the modules.  The kernel can be found
in /boot and normally starts with vmlinuz.  The modules can be found in
directory /lib/modules/<kernel name>.  <kernel name> is the output you get if
you run "uname -r" .  And this can probably also found in the name of the
kernel.
To be able to boot the kernel, you have to update the bootloader (lilo or
grub).  If you use debian, you can use update-grub to update the grub config
file (it scans /boot for kernels).  It's possible you can run it on other
distributions too.  I don't know.

What I do, I always leave the kernel in place that is installed by the
distribution and add my own custom kernel.  So I can choose at boot time the
kernel I want to boot, and of course, I make sure my kernel is listed first.

Stef